Friday, October 16, 2009

Feeling blue

I am frantically working on getting enough inventory for the launch of my eco-friendly line for Etsy on November 1st. I am getting quite efficient with the sewing of the bags (cutting my time in half for each bag since I started). I'd say about 80% of the battle is actually finding fabrics with fun and unique prints, in the right weight canvas for a price that is affordable enough to keep the bags low cost for customers. I scour the sales fliers and clearance tables for decorator fabric and have been pretty successful, but haven't found anything recently.

I've been looking online and finding a lot of options, but I was nervous because I am a very tactile person and have never bought fabric I wasn't able to feel first. Early this week I decided to take a chance and ordered three new fabrics from various Etsy stores.  All three arrived yesterday and they are all exactly what I was hoping for. I was so relieved and feel a lot more confident about buying fabric online now.

One of the fabrics I bought is blue. I have had an aversion to blue for as long as I can remember. Why? I don't know. The only guess I have is it's my mom's favorite color. Don't get me wrong; I love my mom, but we don't really have the same style. Growing up, I was always striving to be an individual and figure out what being "me" meant. I already knew someone with blue as a favorite color, so that was out. I'm not sure why the aversion has lasted so long though.

Anyway, enough psychoanalysis. I bought the blue fabric because I know that most of the world's population likes the color blue and the pattern was very appealing to me. The fabric is called Blue Leaflet and its by Michael Miller. I made the first bag from it last night and I LOVE IT. It is a bit larger than all the others I've made and I think it will be great for big boxes of cereal or those long veggies like celery and romaine lettuce that are always trying to jump out of bags.

What do you think?

My goal this weekend (one of many) is to go grocery shopping. First, we desperately need groceries. But I also want to take pictures of all the bags I have finished packed full of groceries. They look so great laying flat, but I need to show that they are fashionable and functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails