Thursday, March 25, 2010
Kitchen sink veggie pasta
This is a great recipe for using up lots of veggies from the garden or an over zealous trip to the farmer's market or grocery store. I think you could put about any veggies in this and it would be yummy. Vary the colors for the veggies and it turns into a very pretty dinner.
1 lb penne or other larger pasta
2 lbs garden veggies, here's what I used:
1 small egg plant
1 medium zucchini
1/2 a large yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
1 16oz. pkg button mushrooms
1/4 c EVOO + 2 Tbsp
1 tsp dried sweet basil
1 tsp dried Turkish oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1. Cook pasta as directed on the box.
2. Mix all the spices together in a small bowl.
3. While pasta cooks, wash and dry veggies. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Toss with 1/4 c. EVOO and half the spice mixture. Put in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil veggies for about 4-5 minutes, then flip/stir and broil for another 4-5 minutes.
4. Drain pasta. Toss with 2 Tbsp EVOO and remaining spice mix.
5. Mix pasta with veggies. You can add some salt now if you think it needs it or a couple of splashes of balsamic or red wine vinegar would be good too. Last time I made this I also topped it with some crumbled chevre, which was delicious. Feta would be a nice topper too.