Thursday, February 18, 2010

Eat this, not that

We've been in a dinner funk lately. Every night it's a struggle to figure out something to make. I feel like "Dinner? We just ate dinner yesterday! Do we have to do it again?" I found a recipe for Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) online that had potential but wasn't quite there. I asked my friend Andrea, also known as the Kitchen Witch, if she had any suggestions. She had several but the one that sold me was to switch out half the spinach for artichokes. The end result of combining the online recipe, my own ideas and Andrea's suggestions was delicious.

For some reason I cannot seem to remember the name spanakopita. I keep thinking spina bifida, which is clearly not right! Anyway, here's the recipe so you can try spanakopita, not spina bifida.
  • 1 (10 ounce) packages chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry 
  • 1 can artichokes, diced
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 (4 ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon dill
  • 10 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
  • Cooking Spray or melted butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients except the phyllo dough spray/butter.
  3. Lay one sheet of phyllo in the baking dish, allowing edges to hang over. Spray completely with cooking spray or brush with butter. Repeat with 4 more sheets of phyllo, spraying and alternating the direction of each sheet. Transfer spinach mixture to phyllo lined dish. Spray and layer remaining sheets as directed for bottom layer. Turn in edges to form a rim. Spray rim and top layer.
  4. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing into 4-6 pieces. 
This was super simple to make and one of my first tries with phyllo dough. It's a really fun ingredient that seems to have great results. I think I'll use some of the extra to make turnovers. Mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. It turned out beautiful Tonya!! Really pretty, great colors, and nice & cheesy :) Good job on your first spina biffida...er spanokopita :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of my favorite dishes, but I've never made it! I will try your recipe.

    The cheese kit you gave us has inspired us to make our mozzarella, bread and pasta for dinner with family tomorrow. If only it were summer, we'd have our own herbs too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails