Sunday, April 25, 2010

Simple solution

Like most seamstresses, I have piles and piles of miscellaneous fabric hanging around, some scraps, some samples, some impulse buys for projects that never came to fruition. With my new serger, I sewed around the edges of squares varying in size from 10 inches to 14 inches. Viola! Casual, every day cloth napkins. No more disposable paper napkins or paper towels for us.

I got this idea from my friend Staci who has made these, sans the serger. The reason I haven't made them before now is because I have a phobia of uncontrolled string. Yes, I said "uncontrolled string." It's really not so much of a phobia, but a general disgust, especially if it's wet or touching my skin. I can hear you wondering, "What is uncontrolled string?" Think old, fraying towels or raw edged fabric that has gone through the washing machine and dryer. I cannot stand it. It gives me the heebie jeebies. It's irrational and I have no logical reasoning behind it. It just grosses me out. But, the serged edges are the perfect solution.

These are free, eco friendly, cute and washable - with none of the dreaded fraying and unraveling.

I also put two new totes in my shop today. Both are made from Ikea fabric from the Gunilla line. These are the new, extra large, long handled versions. So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails