Saturday, September 19, 2009

I Heart Goat Cheese

I'm headed to the Downtown Des Moines Farmer's Market this morning. It's one of my favorite things to do all summer and fall. I love all the produce, breads and art, but my absolute favorite thing is the goat cheese. There are a couple of places that make and sell it - all good - but my favorite is Northern Prairie Chevre. Some of my favorite flavors are the cracked pepper, garlic & chives and lemon basil, but they have a wide variety including cranberry horseradish, summertime salsa and honey almond. Their cheese is available online and a few local grocery stores sell it (but for $1.50 more!)


Anyway, my addiction to goat cheese lead me to find Urban Cheesecrafts on Etsy. They sell cheese and DIY cheese making kits, which I am dying to try. I want this one for goat cheese, but they have a number of other kits including a Mozzarella & Ricotta kit and a Paneer & Queso Blanco kit. Each kit has enough supplies (sans milk) to make 10 batches! I think I'll wait until winter when I can't get Northern Prairies so easily and cheaply and I'll let you know how it goes. I figure with 10 tries, I am bound to get at least a couple right. The flavor possibilities and combination are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails