Sunday, March 27, 2011

Batik Ombre Quilt

A while back a good friend of mine gave me a HUGE box of batik fabrics, in every color of the rainbow, cut into 10x3 inches rectangles. The fabric is all beautiful and the thing that struck me the most was how the colors changed so gradually from light to dark. I wanted to play off that quality to make almost an ombre effect for a quilt. I needed to crank out a top pretty quickly before my next opportunity at the long arm and my least favorite part of quilting is cutting pieces, so I didn't for this quilt! Just lined them up in a pleasing gradient and stitched away. I really love how this turned out and it makes me want to do several more similar ones. I think the same effect in blue and green would be very pretty.


For the back, I found a very pretty fabric with tiny, batik-looking green flowers. I think it complements the front nicely.


The quilt is about 70 inches by 80 inches. Not big enough for a bed, but just about perfect for snuggling up in a comfy chair with a good book and a hot cup of coffee. That sounds so good, I think I'm going to do that now. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Are you machine or hand quilting these? I've wanted to try quilting but I know myself, and I figured that after I was done with the top I'd be over it and therefore it would never get quilted LOL I'm lazy what can I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend's mom has a long arm machine and she lets us use it. That is actually the best, most fun part!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails